Thursday, January 13, 2011

Birds Binge Drinking

We hear about the issue when people fly drunk, but this is something differant.

Birds that were thought to have died from avian flu in Romania instead apparently drank themselves to death.

Residents of Constanta in eastern Romania found dozens of dead starlings on the outskirts of the city on Saturday.

They alerted authorities, fearing the birds had died from avian flu.

But local veterinary officials decided the starlings had died after eating grape 'marc' - the leftovers from the wine-making process.

The head of the local sanitary and veterinary authority, Dvsva, told news agency Agerpres that analysis of the starlings' gizzards showed they had died from alcohol poisoning.

There have been a number of unexplained mass bird deaths recently in several countries, including the United States and Sweden.

Fireworks were blamed for the deaths of thousands of red-winged blackbirds in Arkansas, while in Sweden officials believe almost 100 jackdaws found dead in the centre of a town had simply been run over.


Barry Eva (Storyheart)

My Blogs:

Book Information and Things UK - Across the Pond

Book and a Chat Radio Show Guests - A Book and a Chat

Funny, Weird Or Just Interesting News From Around the World - Laugh I Thought My Trousers Would Never dry

6 comments:

Dorothy Thompson said...

Oh my so they drank themselves to death? Well it can happen in adults, I guess it could happen to birds but poor birdies!

Margay said...

I guess we're not that different from each other!

Cheryl said...

How strange. So, were these wine remnants wrongly disposed of?

April said...

Oh wow! I have heard of birds eating rice and blowing up, but this is a new one to me, lol. Poor birds.

Rebecca Camarena said...

How strange, but funny about the birds. Where do you come up with all these interesting stories.

JM said...

I've seen a cat drunk, but never birds drunk...

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Laugh I Thought My Trousers Would Never Dry. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by